Professional Matters Committee
The committee works towards the recognition of Medical Physics as a profession in Europe (especially by the EU).
- Advises NMOs on compliance with the EFOMP Policy Statements concerning the MP profession;
- Provides advice and maintain statistics on Registration Schemes operated by NMOs, i.e. the procedure on NRS approval;
- Advices the President when EFOMP is asked to comment on the quality of training and position of MPE in a country of a NMO;
- Liaises with other European organisations on medical professional matters.
These aspects of EFOMP policy are of special interest of the PMC:
- contributing to the advancement of Medical Physics and to the elevation of the standards of the profession practice;
- making recommendations on appropriate general responsibilities, organisa-tional relationships and roles of professionals in the field of Medical Physics;
- proposing and developing guidelines for continuous professional development, registration and certification programmes (in close cooperation with E&T committee);
- aiming for the recognition of the medical physics profession (as healthcare professionals) by the European Union and thus assisting in the mobility of medical physicists across the European Union Member States.
Future activities of the Professional Matters Committee are:
- (Re-)Approval of NRSs will be a continuous process;
- To investigate national profiles of NMOs (in close cooperation with EFOMP General Secretary) via EFOMP website platform "National Member Organisation Information System";
- To lower thresholds for certified MPEs from one country that want to work in other European countries.
- To broaden the field of interest for MPEs into Hospital Physics, Safety of Physical Agents (including ionizing radiation) and Physics of the Sensory Organs (Clinical Audiology/Videology including Neurophysiology);
- To promote (further) cooperation between EFOMP and European organizations of medical professions (e.g. ESTRO, ESR, EANM but also UEMS).
Work in progress
National Registration Schemes (NRS)
EFOMP started an updated procedure on approval of National Registration Schemes at the end of 2018.
In 2019, approval has been granted to DGMP (Germany) and NVKF (The Netherlands) Registration Schemes.
Professional Matters committee introductory course
The Medical Physics Expert in Europe Size: 636,26 KB
PROCEDURE for approval of National Registration Schemes by EFOMP Size: 147,28 KB
CanMEDS J. Frank, The CanMEDS project: The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada moves medical education into the 21st century (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271702100_A_history_of_CanMEDS_-_chapter_from_Royal_College_of_Physicians_of_Canada_75th_Anniversary_history). Size: 368,48 KB